The Seminar on the Prospects and Challenges in the Development of Islamic Finance for Bangladesh was held on 23 - 24 September 2013 in Dhaka, Bangladesh, hosted by Bangladesh Bank.
This Seminar is part of the IFSB Seminar on Islamic Finance series which are held in jurisdictions wishing to explore the possibilities, opportunities and challenges of Islamic finance. This Seminar aimed to create greater awareness on the specificities of the Islamic financial services industry, and discuss the issues in developing Islamic finance in Bangladesh as well as examining the regulatory and other pre-conditions needed to sustain an orderly development of Islamic finance, while seeking to identify the benefits Islamic finance can bring to Bangladesh. The proceedings of this Seminar will be published as an IFSB publication.
20 chairpersons and speakers who were senior financial sector supervisors, market players, Takāful,and experts from international financial institutions participated and discussed the following issues at the Seminar:-
- Global Overview, Issues, Challenges and Opportunities
- Islamic Capital Markets and Liquidity Management : Facilitating Local and Cross-Border Sharī`ah- Compliant Financing and Investment
- Legal, Regulatory and Enabling Framework
- Financial Inclusion through Islamic Finance
- The Way Forward for the Development of Islamic Finance for Bangladesh
Approximately 100 participants from government, regulatory and supervisory bodies and industry players as well as academicians attended the Seminar.